If you’re a Neopets.com user, you probably have heard that it’s time for the Neopets annual premium sale! And okay, if you’re not a current Neopets user, you might be questioning if you have time-traveled a bit. Nope you’re still here in 2019 and the virtual pet website of your childhood is still thriving (honestly mostly amongst millennials looking for that nostalgic thrill)! Much like most online games these days, there are also pay to play features on Neopets – one is Neopets’ premium membership.
A big topic of conversation amongst fellow Neopians is whether premium is “worth” the cost. I have been a premium member on and off for ten years through my various levels of interest with the game, so I have experience with and without it and wanted to share my personal thoughts.
What is Neopets premium?
Neopets is still a free to play site, but some of the sites’ features are “boosted” with the purchase of a paid premium membership.
What does premium get me?
You don’t lose anything by not being a premium member. But become a member has some great features:
- A sixth Neopet! – a few years ago, Neopets allowed ALL users to get a 5th pet slot, and premium boosts that even more by allowing you a sixth!
- Once a year species change – turn any pet into your dream species with just a click!
- Premium Toolbar – which has links to premium features and your dailies in one convenient spot
- Super Shop Wizard – this super cool super wiz is well… super! It searches every shop at once (instead of just certain shops) and lets you nab rare items. If you’re on a journey to win that Kadoatie avatar or strike it moderately wealthy, this definitely helps!
- No ads!! – some of the site ads are a bit ~interesting~ and waiting for a minute to play your favourite games can be a bit annoying, so blocking them is almost worth the cost on it’s own
- Journal – a place to put all your cool pet customizations!
- Premium site theme and avatar
- Access to the super special Charter NeoBoards
- Premium scratchcards, extra random events, double the Neopoints on certain games, bonus Neopoints and items, Space Faerie Battledome challenger… and lots more!
- And lastly, premium helps support the site and new features!
What does it cost?
Typically Premium costs $69.95 USD (approximately $93 CAD) for a one year membership, or $7.95 USD per month.
But Neopets offers a fairly steep discount for about a month in August/September. You can become a premium member for significantly less at just $49.95 USD ($66 CAD).
So… is it worth it?
Think about it like Neopets is one of your hobbies that gives you great joy. Paying real money to play is like paying for any game you purchase “bonus” items or boosts.
Will premium make you mega rich in the game? No, not on it’s own. It can certainly assist you with your goals in the game and help you have even more fun.
Neopets does definitely have issues with customer support, glitches, downtime, it’s quite outdated, and it’s membership is declining. So there has been a bit of anxiety about the site being no longer supported (but honestly, this has been chatter for more than a decade), which are all considerations before pulling out your pocket book.
But if you play Neopets every day and you like extra conveniences, then yes absolutely! Money can occasionally buy happy times.
How do I sign up?
To sign up for premium, go to this page, which will allow you to pick your subscription period and learn a bit more!
If you perhaps stumbled upon this page and want to give Neopets a go again (do it – there’s so much more to do than ever!), click on the banner to sign up:
(This post and my thoughts on premium was written completely unpaid! I would absolutely love to be paid for my opinions of Neopets, but so far that dream has not come true ! :()